Wednesday 23 April 2014

ELT Ireland has lift off!

Saturday 12th April marked a very important day for ELT in Ireland. Following a very successful conference by the IATEFL Learning Technology SIG in November 2013, a new association for ELT teachers was born. ELT Ireland officially launched the association on Saturday with their first event, ELTed, which consisted of eight local teachers giving a twelve minute talk on an area of teaching that they have a particular interest in. This not only allowed others to learn new things, but gave those teachers the opportunity to present in front of their peers - an opportunity they might not have inside their institutions.

                                   

ELT Ireland was set up to provide support for ELT teachers here in Ireland, and to provide a platform for idea sharing with others across the country and to promote opportunities for professional development outside our own institutions.

This is something that is badly needed here in Ireland. When asked what I do, I say that I'm a teacher. When asked if it's primary or secondary, I say that I'm neither, but, in fact, I teach English as a second or other languages. Sometimes people ask me further questions as they find language learning interesting, but more often than not, people look embarrassed and ask if I've been doing it for long and what are my plans for the future. In my responses, I always feel like I'm defending my profession, that I'm trying to prove to the listener that what I do is a real career. And I know I'm not alone. ELT Ireland, I believe, will help EFL teachers to take themselves and their profession seriously and above all, to make them proud of what they do. It was so wonderful at the ELTed event on Saturday, to see so many teachers there who wanted to learn new things, meet other professionals from around Ireland and discuss different ideas. The enthusiasm and excitement that teachers here have been deprived of for so long, has finally arrived.

For more information, check out ELT Ireland's website or Facebook page. They also have a Twitter chat session every second Monday, just add #eltchinwag on Twitter to join.




4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new association!
    And I share the feeling. We train for four or five years at College here in Argentina to become graduate teachers of English, and when people ask us what we do, and we say "we teach English", they just ask "what else?". (Infuriating!).
    So all my best wishes to your newly-born project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marina. It's a very exciting time for ELT teachers in Ireland. It really is infuriating when people react that way, but I suppose, we have to keep going and taking pride in what we do. We have to stick together and take comfort when we see our learners progress knowing that we have played a huge role in their development. The committee are doing such a fantastic job and hopefully ELT Ireland will continue to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go ELT Ireland! It's great to see something finally happening in Ireland. I'm really grateful for the opportunity to do a presentation that I was given at the last event! Invaluable experience, nerve-wracking but invaluable! I finally faced my demons. Looking forward to many more events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see so much going on. Congrats to all involved.

    ReplyDelete